Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Writing Center Organization ~ List Writing

I love opening the year with list writing.  During morning message (or anytime during the day) I model writing lists.  Sometimes it is to hold an idea, reminder for later... sometimes it is something I can write about in Writer’s Workshop.  I have found that emergent writer’s love list writing too!


Last year I created some list paper and picture card prompts.  I found that I had a few reluctant writers, but with a little nudging or prompting they would partake in list writing.  Of course, the best lists are created by the kids with ideas generated all by themselves… but a little framework around the tasked really helped them take off!

 
To keep interest I introduce one new list per month.  Students quickly move to writing their own themed-lists each month.  Some even liked to draw their own picture prompts for others to use!

Think of all the skills they are strengthening when list writing!  ~recording sounds they hear, applying phonics skills they know, generating ideas, categorizing, language… the list is endless!~

I have decided that this year I will make List-Writing a feature in the Writing center.  Since my writing center is housed in an area labeled “Wild about Writing,” of course, I themed my file folder storage using some fun animal print.


I bought these cheap hanging file storage units.  Then I labeled each folder using cute clipart...and voilà!   Here is the latest addition to my Writing/Literacy stations! 
 
 
You can get the monthly labels HERE!
I printed them on 1” x 2 5/8” labels.
 

Find more List Writing HERE:

Now if I could only get into my classroom… and really set up!

Enjoy
~Holly

2 comments:

  1. I've just nominated you for the Liebster award. Check it out here: Mrs. Parisi's Kindergarten Class

    Wow! I am in envy of your organizational skills! Great job and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the writing station! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...